Consumption of Coconut Water during Pregnancy has a host of benefits than just tasting good. Experts at the Coconut Development Board (CDB) stated that Coconut water during pregnancy is considered to be the best source of nutrients as it is a mixture of chlorides, electrolytes, Riboflavin, Calcium, Magnesium and Vitamin C.
Benefits of Coconut Water During Pregnancy
Coconut water is a fat free, healthy, cool and refreshing drink that helps to keep the body hydrated by replenishing natural salts that we loose during perspiration. Coconut water is good during pregnancy both for the health of the mother and the child because of the following listed reasons:
- Levels of Fluids and Electrolytes: It contains moderate amount of sugar, protein, and sodium thus helps in maintaining the daily levels of Fluids and electrolytes required by the body.
- Protect against infections: Evidences have shown that coconut water during pregnancy helps to build up the immunity, improves the function of the kidney, prevents urinary tract infections (UTI) as well as helps in lowering high blood pressure levels.
- Less calories: It is low in calories and contains some amount of dietary fibres, healthy omega fatty acids which are recommended for pregnant women and help them to keep the weight in check.
- Promotes weight loss: Coconut water promotes weight loss as it contains zero cholesterol and helps to increase good cholesterols in the body by slowly eradicating the bad cholesterols, thereby preventing the accumulation of excess fat cells and keeps the body hydrated all time.
- Improves digestion: It helps in improving the process of digestion, strengthens the digestive system, prevents constipation, maintains and regulates the ph. Levels of the body. This, in turn, improves the metabolism and detoxifies the body. As a natural acid neutralizer, coconut water also soothes and prevents heartburn during pregnancy.
- Boost the immune system: Coconut water rich in essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that help to boost the immune system thereby protects the mother and the child from diseases. The lauric acid responsible for the production of a disease-fighting acid called ‘monolaurin,’ prevents illness like flu and HIV among others.
- Exercise Drink: Coconut water is also suggested as a great exercise drink for the expecting mothers, who are advised to stay physically healthy and fit and perform light workouts.
- Combat Morning Sickness: Also, consuming coconut water in the first trimester helps in tackling morning sickness and relieves fatigue.
Coconut Water and Pregnancy: Few Recommendations
Intake of coconut water during pregnancy is highly recommended. There are host of benefits of drinking coconut water but below are two important things to keep in mind:
- One should always remember that – moderation is key. Clean, filtered water should always be the top priority. One should not intake coconut water as a constant substitution of pure mineral water and other drinks.
- It is advisable to drink coconut water as soon as the coconut is cut when it is fresh and rich in nutrients.
However, some people believe that coconut water during pregnancy can fulfill all kinds of nutritional requirements of a pregnant mother. But it is certainly not true as there is no single food item that could contain all types of essential nutrients. A pregnant woman should intake a whole combination of fruits, vegetables and meat items (proteins) containing essential nutrients in adequate amount.