It can affect anyone, anywhere.
KNOW IT. PROTECT YOURSELF
Every year, more than 1.34 million deaths are happening due to viral Hepatitis. In fact, it is causing as many deaths as HIV/ AIDS, tuberculosis or malaria across the globe. To protect yourself from this deadly virus, you should know as much about it as possible.
WHAT IS VIRAL HEPATITIS
In simple words, Hepatitis is a medical condition, in which the liver gets swollen due to the presence of inflammatory cells in the tissue of the organ. It may occur with limited or no symptoms at all.
SOME DEADLY FACTS ABOUT HEPATITIS
-Over 325 million people are infected worldwide with hepatitis B and C.’
-Hepatitis B and C causes 80% of liver cancer cases in the world.
– In India, over 40 million people have hepatitis B.'”
– Around 90% of people living with hepatitis B and C are not aware of it
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN JAUNDICE AND HEPATITIS
Jaundice and Hepatitis are co-related to one another but they are different from each other in many ways. Jaundice can be caused due to Hepatitis virus.
CAUSES OF TRANSMISSION OF HEPATITIS
HEPATITIS A and E
• Eating food or drinking water contaminated by faeces of an infected person.
• Eating raw shellfish from contaminated water.
• Transmitted through contact with blood and other body fluids.
• From mother to child during birth.
• Mainly through blood to blood contact and rarely transmitted through certain sexual practices.
•Through infected blood and previous hepatitis B infection.
PREVENTION AND PROTECTION
Wash your hands after using toilet.
Avoid unprotected sexual contact.
Ensure safe drinking water.
Don’t share drug needles.
Don’t share personal hygiene items like toothbrushes and razors.
To be mothers must discuss about first hepatitis B vaccines for newly born.